Here are some specific styles to consider when shopping for your plus size dress. These styles are great for many plus sized women, but be sure to try different styles on, to see how they work on your particular body. All of these dresses help to create that fantastic hourglass silhouette.
- A-line dress is a classic shape that tucks in at the waist and gently tapers down. This kind of dress is flattering for most body types.
- Pintuck dress is one of the most recent trends that is very beautiful. It is actually a modified A-line style that features a flowing skirt for a flirty look.
- Wrap (or faux wrap) dress is a shape that is very compatible with a bigger woman's body because it is adjustable to any body and hugs the curves very well. Just be sure that there is enough material in the dress to cover your body.
- Maxi dress is a style that can be attractive for a plus size girl if care is taken to choose the right style. For maxi dresses, be sure to maintain a defined waist and do not allow that loose "mu-mu" look. As well, you may wish to consider a side split to break up the bulk of a maxi dress. An open neckline at the top also helps to offset the long length of the dress.
- Shark bite hem dress is a very lovely style that features an assymetrical hemline. This dress line is very flattering for a bigger girl because it creates a diagonal, which makes the woman look less big.
- Con dresses are known as bar dresses and are very tight. For evening wear, they can be very attractive and tend to tuck a woman in very well. These dresses are very revealing, though, and do tend appeal to women in their twenties.